StringIPC class - send/receive strings between processes

Post your working scripts, libraries and tools for AHK v1.1 and older
Learning one

StringIPC class - send/receive strings between processes

26 Jan 2015, 18:29

:!: EDIT: instead of StringIPC class, it's recommended to use ObjRegisterActive, which is more powerful and flexible

StringIPC class allows you to exchange (send/receive) strings between processes. It doesn't use WM_COPYDATA, ClipBoard, FileMapping, COM, Mailslots, Pipes, Sockets, or similar; it's all done via Edit controls in hidden GUIs. ;)

>> Usage preview:

Code: Select all

StringIPC := new StringIPCClass("Alpha")						; Creates "StringIPC" object and defines a name (address) of this process; "Alpha"
StringIPC.SendMessage("Beta", "Please do some stuff for me...")	; Sends a message to "Beta" process with the following text; "Please do some stuff for me..."
>> Download StringIPC.zip which includes; StringIPC class, examples, documentation, license. Run both example scripts (Alpha & Beta) and press F1, F2, 1, 2 hotkeys to start exchanging messages. Press Esc to exit.

>> This short video shows how StringIPC works - what's actually happening in background while processes are exchanging messages.
Last edited by Learning one on 07 Feb 2015, 04:20, edited 2 times in total.
Soft

Re: StringIPC class - send/receive strings between processes

27 Jan 2015, 01:52

"It doesn't use WM_COPYDATA, ClipBoard, FileMapping, COM, Mailslots, Pipes, Sockets, or similar; it's all done via Edit controls in hidden GUIs"

Cool..!!
AutoHotkey & AutoHotkey_H v1.1.22.07
lexikos

28 Jan 2015, 03:17

Your script seems surprisingly complicated. It doesn't use WM_COPYDATA, but it does use SendMessage/OnMessage plus a Gui and a bunch of Edit controls. It seems to me that using WM_COPYDATA would be simpler; IPC.ahk, for instance.
Learning one

28 Jan 2015, 15:50

@lexikos: I absolutely agree that using WM_COPYDATA would be simpler. I know for majkinetor's IPC, and for OnMessage() example in AHK help, which use WM_COPYDATA.

However, one developer told me that I should avoid using WM_COPYDATA to exchange strings between processes. I also read about possible problems when using WM_COPYDATA (it was long itme ago, can't remember where). So that's the only reason I wrote this… Do you think that using WM_COPYDATA is reliable? Do you recommend it for sending strings between processes?

@joedf, Soft: Thx :)
lexikos

28 Jan 2015, 18:40

I am not aware of any issues with WM_COPYDATA. What have you heard?

Actually, there's a much more flexible and fairly simple IPC method available with v1.1.17+. I intend to post about it later, when I get more time.
boiler

28 Jan 2015, 23:48

lexikos wrote:Actually, there's a much more flexible and fairly simple IPC method available with v1.1.17+. I intend to post about it later, when I get more time.
Looking forward to this. Right now I clumsily do IPC via text file. I wasn't aware of IPC.ahk, but I guess now I'll just wait for the update.
lexikos

29 Jan 2015, 03:24

ObjRegisterActive demonstrates the other IPC method I was referring to.
Learning one

29 Jan 2015, 15:24

@lexikos: That developer only said that I should avoid using it, and I didn't ask for details... :(
Wow, ObjRegisterActive rocks! 8-) With such a powerful and flexible IPC method it really doesn't make sense to use StringIPC.
Thank you for making & presenting ObjRegisterActive! :)
First post updated.

Return to “Scripts and Functions (v1)”