Screen clipping

Post your working scripts, libraries and tools
Joe Glines
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theAutomatorGuru/
Google: https://plus.google.com/105328929654286634910
GitHub: joetazz

Re: Screen clipping

25 Jun 2018, 10:38

In our May webinar BlackHolyman demonstrated using Tesseract for OCR. I liked it so much I incorporated it into my screen clipping tool.

You can download the files from here and watch the demo video below
Stamimail

25 Jun 2018, 11:02

I'm using textify (open-source) for similar functionally
https://rammichael.com/textify
Still textify is missing an OCR feature for images.

I think the kind of dialog of textify will be much better for Screen clipping then the regular Dialog-Box, since you don't need to press OK every time.
fenchai

25 Jun 2018, 12:59

There is a problem with a conflict with ShareX application.

ShareX monitors Clipboard, once the image is on Clipboard ShareX interferes and Screen Clipper gets an error.
Cerberus

25 Jun 2018, 21:54

Joe Glines wrote:In our May webinar BlackHolyman demonstrated using Tesseract for OCR. I liked it so much I incorporated it into my screen clipping tool.

You can download the files from here and watch the demo video below

Very interesting; I use your Screen Clipping tool every day (including the auto-post to Imgur). It seems Tesseract.exe doesn't work on Windows 32 bits, but I'll try again as soon as I switch to Windows 10 64!
Joe Glines
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theAutomatorGuru/
Google: https://plus.google.com/105328929654286634910
GitHub: joetazz

26 Jun 2018, 06:58

@Cerberus - Just an FYI- I removed the IMUGR upload from this version as I virtually never used that functionality anymore. :(

Bummer about it not working on 32 bit version. There is probably a 32 bit version of Tesseract but I don't have the time to investigate.
Regards,
Joe
fenchai

26 Jun 2018, 19:33

How do u upload to imgur without an imgur account? I don't know how to search for imgur since imgur is everywhere.
Cerberus

26 Jun 2018, 20:59

Joe Glines wrote:@Cerberus - Just an FYI- I removed the IMUGR upload from this version as I virtually never used that functionality anymore. :(

Bummer about it not working on 32 bit version. There is probably a 32 bit version of Tesseract but I don't have the time to investigate.
Regards,
Joe

Oh, I see, that's too bad. I use the Imgur function every day! Thanks for the script anyway, I learned about it originally from one of your videos. Don't worry about a 32 version: I could investigate myself, or just wait until I switch from XP to Windows 10 64 bits, which will be soonish. I'll post my version below (without OCR, obviously), which also works on Windows XP, unlike your version, if I recall correctly (I had to search for and add a function somewhere to get it to work with XP).

P.S. The script has always crashed for me from time to time, but it's quick to restart, so it's not really a problem. Could be an XP thing as well.
Last edited by Cerberus on 26 Jun 2018, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
Cerberus

26 Jun 2018, 21:06

fenchai wrote:How do u upload to imgur without an imgur account? I don't know how to search for imgur since imgur is everywhere.

I don't believe you can without an account. But it's easy to create an account. I'll post my version of the script below, which doesn't have OCR yet, but it does have auto-upload to Imgur, and it works on Windows XP. I've also changed the hotkeys a little bit, which you can change as you like somewhere early in the script. Instructions on how the Imgur part should be set up can be found inside the script as well.

Code: [Select all] [Expand] [Download] GeSHi © Codebox Plus

fenchai

26 Jun 2018, 22:04

Thank You Cerberus :) You use the same hotkeys I use. this is the best way to use it and I also don't use email either so it's at 0

imgur works :D

btw I will stop using ShareX because it keeps activating after clip :=1 is set on any hotkey. It also seems to stop OCR from working. having imgur on this script saves me a lot of time.

If you have time can you take a look at this awesome script. https://github.com/mmikeww/DragToScroll I have trouble closing Windows created by this script with RButton since RButton is used in that script to scroll. It is awesome. hope u can take a look.
Cerberus

27 Jun 2018, 16:11

fenchai wrote:Thank You Cerberus :) You use the same hotkeys I use. this is the best way to use it and I also don't use email either so it's at 0

imgur works :D

btw I will stop using ShareX because it keeps activating after clip :=1 is set on any hotkey. It also seems to stop OCR from working. having imgur on this script saves me a lot of time.

If you have time can you take a look at this awesome script. https://github.com/mmikeww/DragToScroll I have trouble closing Windows created by this script with RButton since RButton is used in that script to scroll. It is awesome. hope u can take a look.

I'm glad you have a good taste in hotkeys too!

I don't know what ShareX is.

You could use a different button to close the window, if the right button (Rbutton) doesn't work properly. Which button would you like to use? You can change line 59 to use a different close button:

Code: [Select all] [Download] GeSHi © Codebox Plus

~Rbutton:: winclose, A ;contributed by tervon 

Change Rbutton into Mbutton (middle mouse button) or whatever button or key you would like to use. Escape already works in addition to the right mouse button (see the line before this line).
fenchai

27 Jun 2018, 18:32

Yes, I had to change to MButton and Space. Working well now.

Are you updating the script to support OCR?
Cerberus

28 Jun 2018, 07:08

fenchai wrote:Yes, I had to change to MButton and Space. Working well now.

Are you updating the script to support OCR?

I'm not sure whether I have the ability to do so. It's a big script and it's not mine. And OCR didn't work on my computer. Maybe I'll try at some point in the future.
fenchai

28 Jun 2018, 18:58

I had trouble with it too. hopefully someone can do it :D
r2997790

13 Jul 2018, 14:56

I love this tool and use it everyday.

I wondered if anyone coded a variant which could create an animated gif?

It's the one thing on this tool which is missing.

R

Return to “Scripts and Functions”